Yamor Part 3: Queen Election

Sorry for the extreme delay. I've been having trouble getting my videos, photos, and blog posts to upload. For me, the final big Yamor event was the Queen Election on Saturday, September 1.

The Queen Election basically is a beauty pageant, but this year, they threw in a lot of other entertainment, which to me, made the event really enjoyable. Different singers and dance groups performed throughout the event. Each singer initially saying a few songs on their own. Check out that snazzy suit and that girl’s dance moves! She was not intimidated at all!


Unfortunately, playing to trends (she’s singing “Llorona” from the animated movie Coco, which you probably know if you've been around children this year) doesn’t always turn out so well. It’s a beautiful song, but tough to choreograph, as is evidenced by the awkward ‘spirit’ creepily following the poor singer around the stage.

The singers also sang to the candidates while they were in the ball gown section of the event. For me, that was a lot more interesting than simply watching the ladies walk very slowly and pose around the stage! Granted, that takes some practice on their part, I’m sure; it’s just not terribly exciting to watch. I will admit, however, it did lead to some awkward interactions between the candidates and the singers who seemed as though they hadn't quite rehearsed together. Some candidates walked away from the singers, who were clearly trying to interact with them; others simply stayed there, looking like they'd rather be alone; and one couple nearly fell off the stage! Hey, I told you was entertaining!

The dance groups might’ve chosen new music, but they were full-on bringing the 90s back with their costumes (and sometimes even their moves). My videos/images are limited here, but check out my Facebook album for some more great examples. The white outfits and Wade Robson moves (he famously choreographed for NSYNC and Britney, to name a few) just screamed Backstreet Boys – I Want It That Way (from the 1999 Millennium album).

Instead of a talent section where each candidate chooses what they’d like to showcase, they had each candidate dance with a small group of the large dance troupe, first in fancy clothes and later in indigenous dress (even though they were all mestizos). Even though it was clear that none of them were really dancers, it added an extra element of entertainment and I had a lot of respect for the girls who tried to get into it or seemed like they were enjoying themselves (as opposed to the ones who looked miserable while sort of doing the moves).




Each of the candidates spoke a bit, introducing themselves and later answering questions. Each of the candidates wore these fun genie pants during their introduction. You might notice that each girl had a designated color (featured in her outfit and her section of the crowd).


The 2017 Yamor Queen gave a presentation about all of the things she did during the past year and later crowned the 2018 Queen. It was sort of interesting for me, since I was here last year for her coronation but not for any of her community projects. People get really invested in their Queen and seem to get super excited whenever she attends an event. I'm particularly impressed by how well they seem to manage these sky-high crowns. I wonder if they get lessons on how to wear them...

Like last year, the crowd itself proved to be highly entertaining, clapping, chanting, banging and making all kinds of noise. They had signs, balloons, flowers, and confetti. Some even lit candles. Although there were a few drum scattered to make some extra noise, there weren't any full bands like last year. I'll admit, I was actually grateful for that. I tried to buy ear plugs in preparation for the noise I knew would be coming, but pharmacies do not carry them here, so I was out of luck. Luckily for me (but sadly for the candidates), the crowd was actually smaller this year, so my ears did not suffer quite as much. The event was also a little shorter than last year, wrapping up around 11 p.m., allowing us to go for some New York style pizza afterwards. I'll admit that I was skeptical, but it was actually really good! In proper New York style pizza manner, I folded it in half and ate it with my hands. I'm pretty sure everyone with me was appalled, since Ecuadorians believe pizza is a fork and knife kind of food, but at least they were nice enough not to call me out on it. Sorry, but there's nothing better than eating greasy pizza with your hands at midnight! Plus, finger food just tastes better! Fight Me on this!


The agonizing moments, waiting for them to announce the new queen.



The events are still continuing, but I can't celebrate forever, so it's back to research time for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yamor Festival

Research has officially started

Pijal with Archy Friends and Super Cool Tech