It's all happening (finally)!

First, and foremost, I want to issue a giant THANK YOU to everyone who has supported, encouraged, prodded, and put up with me on my long journey to start my dissertation research. I genuinely wouldn't be here without all of you, and I am so grateful to literally have an entire community behind me!

In addition to my family sendoff, the wonderful ladies from the Allegheny Mountain Cloggers (who have graciously welcomed me into their group since January) sent me off with carrot cake ("Good luck on your adventure, Katie) and best wishes. It was so touching! As promised, pictured below are some of the awesome ladies who put up with me when I want to do the crazy fast clogging routines.

After being stuck on the runway in Atlanta for an extra hour due to some weather and rerouting issues yesterday, I was glad to finally arrive in Quito! I watched 2.5 movies before I just couldn't care anymore and attempted to sleep (though the toddler/her dad next to me made that nearly impossible). Still, the ~6.5 hour journey (including the extra hour on the plane) is nothing compared to the flight to Japan! Thank goodness, because I'm tired enough...

Joseph (the son of the first family I'm staying with) picked me up at the airport and took me to his house in Quito to spend the night. We had to "sleep fast" (as Joe Imhof always said) since we arrived at 1am local time (remember, I'm 1 hour behind Bradford) and had to leave at 7am to get me to the bus station. On the bus ride, I was entertained by The Rock spy movie they played and the bundle I thought was a baby, but turned out to be a small dog. I mean, sure, who doesn't want to swaddle their puppy and take them everywhere? Amanda, this is more evidence that I should've brought Lacy as my fieldwork protector Sherpa pup!

The family's youngest daughter, Jenny, picked me up at the bus station in Otavalo and brought me back to the family house. Since they're all grown and married, none of the kids live here anymore, but it's still "home base." I've spent the day napping, unpacking, checking it at home, and just settling in. It's been so nice to catch up with the Echeverrias. I've had some awesome fresh juice (Jamba Juice has nothing on freshly made Ecuadorian juice!) and, as predicted, my first real meal was chicken and rice. ¡Bienvenida a Ecuador! Research starts tomorrow!

Comments

  1. I wonder why Joe would have ever had a reason to tell you to sleep; was it perhaps the fact that you would always try to be the last one to turn out your light????? Love you KTZ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have to TRY. It is my gift/curse. I just work better at night. Love you, too, Mama!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yamor Festival

Research has officially started

Pijal with Archy Friends and Super Cool Tech