Birthday party #I've-completely-lost-track

Over the weekend of August 25th, we celebrated another birthday. This time, it was for John Paul (my host-brother-in-law). Because he's an adult, it was a much more low-key affair. We had pizza and pop, followed by cake on Saturday evening. We danced and hung out and had a nice evening together. When his daughter Julie asked where the piñata was, her grandmother Cristina told her that John Paul didn't need a piñata because he was old. It was precisely at that moment that I looked at the candles on his cake... He turned 27. He is the biological father of a 4 year old daughter, a two-year-old son, and the stepdad of a 9 year old daughter. And Cristina called him old. I told her she had better watch your mouth since I am nearly 2 years older than he is (I’ll turn 29 in October). And hey, I wouldn't mind a piñata for MY birthday.

It's weird how things like age can be experienced so differently, but at that moment, my age definitely hit me. I could easily trade places with John Paul based on our ages, but I could not imagine myself in that life. It's funny how life takes each of us down very different paths. But I’m glad that my path has led me here: pursuing my educational goals, chasing my career dreams, and spending time with amazing people I consider friends and family. This trip has been a bit weird for me because I’ve always had another trip tentatively lined up. This is the last research trip I have to complete for my dissertation research (I’m torn between adding “God willing” and “Come hell or high water,” so think of this as a choose your own adventure sentence). And even though I know I’ll come back sometime – I can’t just walk away from these people who have become such an important part of my life – I don’t know when or for how long. And that’s weird. I do know that next time I come, I really hope to bring friends/family so I can show off my other country.


But, that’s enough introspection for now. Back to the partying, which is what you really came for. ;)

On Sunday, the family had a little outing to Lago San Pablo. John Paul and John decided to ride their bikes, and I decided that John Paul must be a masochist if that’s how he chooses to celebrate his birthday. To be clear, this wasn’t a little bike ride; it was miles and miles in the freaking Andes Mountains. Right after eating a giant lunch of Chinese food. Needless to say, it didn’t quite go as planned, and John Paul looked much happier once he was in the truck with us.


I didn’t know what the plan was once we finally arrived at the lake, since it was a cool, overcast day. Not exactly prime lake weather, but the point was for the family to be together. Since the two boys were sleeping, Carla and Cristina stayed in the car to watch them, so our numbers started dwindling. I was immediately excited and then disappointed when I saw the kayaks. I love kayaking, but the thought of doing it in cold weather and with another person dampened my spirits. I tried to politely explain that when it comes to water vessels, I have valid trust issues and would rather go by myself, but it’s a two-seater, so apparently, that means two butts or no butts. 

Since the couples were heading out together (Jenny & John – baseball cap, Ivonne & Joseph – somewhat reluctantly, at his wife’s request, who impressively braved the sloppy shoreline in heels), that left John Paul, Julie, and me. Even though she had been in boats before and enjoyed them, she absolutely freaked out at the sight of the kayaks. She didn’t want her dad to leave her, and she certainly didn’t want to be in a kayak, so off to the playground they went. 




That left me to walk around and take pictures. I found myself particularly fascinated by the ducks and this pup who desperately wanted to get to them, although he couldn’t quite decide if he wanted to hunt them or befriend them. His person (you can hear her call him “son”) was having none of it. And all too soon, our fun outing came to an end, but it was fun to just be together as a family.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yamor Festival

Research has officially started

Pijal with Archy Friends and Super Cool Tech