I MET DAVID KYLE!!

OHMYLANTA!! Today, I met one of the people I cite in practically all of my work, and I’m still freaking out, hours later. That would be like a normal person meeting their favorite actor. I tried to play it cool, but my collaborators told me that I most definitely failed. I told them they could make fun of me all they wanted because today was The. Best. Day. Ever. in Ecuador (even better than the llamas! I know, I didn’t think it was possible either, but then I met a rock star of sociology on Ecuador, and I don’t want to jinx myself, but today was amazeballs)! I’m writing a play by play here because I want proof that this was real life.

I was hanging out with some of my contacts (it’s a very important method in anthropology; I could teach you, but I’d have to charge), when two men who appeared to be from the US (I like to play this game in which I try to guess where foreigners are from; I’m slowly becoming an expert at determining nationality based on comportment and vestment) and a woman who seemed like she was from Ecuador began looking at the stall of my contacts. I sometimes try to talk to the visiting tourists about where they’re from, what brought them to Ecuador, what they think of the market. I weighed my options and almost didn’t speak up, but THANK GOD I did! I asked them (in Spanish because I wasn’t certain they spoke English and didn’t want to be presumptuous) where they were from. Man 1 responded, “California.”
Me [cool, they speak English. Switching languages]: Great. I’m from PA. What brought you to Ecuador?
Man 1: Work [and implied something about volunteering/returning after previous visits]
Me [Oh, they’re probably doctors or missionaries]: What kind of work?
Man 1: Actually, I’m here for my research. I’m a professor at UC Davis.
Me [Perking up]: Cool! Me too. [probing look from both men] I’m a grad student at UK. I’m here for my research.
Man 2: Oh, for how long?
Me: I’m here for 3 months, but I’ll be back next year for 9 more.
Man 2: Oh, you must study anthropology!
Me: Yeah!
Man 1: What’s your topic?
Me: I’m studying the handicrafts here. I’m interested in who makes which crafts, and what that means for their identity. I’m interested in their economy. What kind of research are you doing?
Man 1: Sociology…My new project is on creativity. I’ve actually done research here a while back and written about it. Then, I changed my focus, but I’m coming back to the area. I’m David Kyle. You might know (my work on transnational) –
Me [freaking out and jumping up from my chair to meet the man I cite frequently on eye level because that’s the least I can do and it would be wrong to move too close but rude to remain seated, right?]: Ohmygod! You’re David Kyle?! Of course I know your work! I cite you all the time! Wow. I can’t believe it! Wow.

Man 2 obviously thought this was hilarious, while David Kyle seemed flattered/impressed to meet someone familiar with his work. Then, David Kyle, famous (to me), asked if I would be willing to take a picture with him because the coincidence was too cool – at which, I explained to the confused looks on my friends/collaborators’ faces who he was and why we were taking a picture! I’m pretty sure they thought I was crazy, but I’m used to that. And thank god he asked for the picture, because I didn’t know how to ask him for a photo without appearing even crazier than I must’ve seemed. But we took our picture, and I gave him my card (I’ve never been so grateful that I felt forced to purchase them before starting my research), asking if he would please send the picture to me – at which he promptly apologized for not having any business cards on him. Because I’m incredibly smooth, I replied, “No worries. I know who you are, obviously.” God was really looking out for me because David Kyle (I’m using his full name every time, y’all. It’s either that, or cite him (Kyle 1999; Kyle 2000) – and no, I didn’t have to look up the years) continued before I rambled myself into oblivion, saying that he would of course email the photo to me and I should feel free to email him if I had any questions or if I thought he could help me in any way, that he’d be glad to help me out. He then added with a chuckle that I probably know more about the area than he does now, since it’s been years since he’s worked here, and I’ve been focusing on the region for my dissertation research.

I am still floored by his humility and kindness! Let’s be honest – not all academics are so gracious. One big publication, and boom! They’re better than the rest of us mere peasants, and they know everything. It’s sad, but I’m sorry to say it’s sometimes true. But David Kyle was excited (ok, not as excited as I was, but still, he was excited instead of weirded out by this geek fangirling over him) to meet someone familiar with his work, thought it was as neat of a coincidence as I did, and was supportive of my research. For Pete’s sake, David Kyle offered to help me! Like we don’t receive enough emails daily as it is, he gave me an open invitation to keep in touch and ask him anything, just to help out a grad student from a different university. I can’t express how appreciative I am that both men were so kind!

I’m not going to lie, I’m a little fuzzy on the order of the rest of the details, but more or less, the following things happened.

At some point, both men expressed not only interest in my research, but agreed that it was not only valid, but important, and wished me the best of luck in my career. On all future grant applications, under significance/importance of research, I can write “because David Kyle said so,” right?
At some point, they asked where in PA I’m from. Turns out, Man 2 had family that ran a restaurant in Turtle Creek. Small world. Man 2 guessed that I went to Penn State, and when I told him, no Pitt, David Kyle said he’d almost gone there, that he really liked the school and it was a great program, but he’d ultimately gone to Johns Hopkins (which I knew, and I’m pretty sure I said, even though I probably should’ve just gone with “cool.”). Man 2 also happens to be a retired Anth prof from UC Davis (*Jim/James Grieshop - he was in the Dept of Human Ecology. Whoops! Guess I was so excited I originally forgot to include his name...), btw, and actually came back alone to talk to me [presumably after calming down from meeting a famous academic]. He told me that he had spent time in Ecuador in the 1980s and had a ton of pictures of the area (esp. Cayambe), and if I were interested, he’d be happy to share them with me if I thought they would help my research at all. Like, seriously? Are you kidding me? How incredibly thoughtful of him! He could’ve just walked away and let it slide, or asked David Kyle for my email and sent me a message if he wanted to help. But no, he came back and talked to me. Unbelievably nice! I was blown away! Not only did I meet 2 professors who completely understand my research and were supportive, they also want to help me. May all academic communities be this supportive!

In case you want to look him up for proof, or do some light reading:
Kyle, David
2000 Transnational Peasants: Migrations, Networks, and Ethnicity in Andean Ecuador. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press.
1999 The Otavalo Trade Diaspora: Social Capital and Transnational Entrepreneurship. Ethnic and Racial Studies 22(2): 422–446.
(Copied from basically all of my bibliographies over the past 8-ish years)

While this was obviously the highlight, it was an all-around awesome day that started with a great night’s sleep (many of you know how rare and rewarding that is for me)! But after sleeping in, I felt a little guilty for getting a late start to the day, especially because I have a 30-40 minute commute (depending on traffic/how many stops the bus makes) to the Plaza de Ponchos now that I’ve moved to San Antonio (more about that later; apologies for writing out of chronological order, but this just couldn’t wait!!). If ever I needed a reminder that all things happen for a reason, it would be just happening to be in the right place at the exact moment 2 US professors would pass, and choosing to speak up!

I also managed to score some elusive gifts (and a couple things for me; hey, I’ve been pretty good up until now!) for which I’d been hunting the past few weeks. It was really nice to visit with a couple of vendors I’ve recently met. They’re not actually the focus of my research, but they’re both really cool guys, and for some reason, I just felt like I should visit them today. I was happy to show off my new earrings to the vendor from whom I purchased them on Wednesday; he was quick to compliment my beautiful earrings and seemed genuinely happy that I came by to say hi and show them off. I also made sure to catch up with the super cool guy who makes pyrography recycled notebooks/journals. He chastised me for not answering his email (which he sent the very day we met – because he’s super on top of things in a way I can only envy – asking me to visit his studio in Cotacachi and inviting me for dinner in a completely welcoming and non-creepy way), but immediately forgave me when I told him I moved and was still figuring out the wifi. Graciously, he was just happy to see a “familiar” face and wished me the best as some potential customers approached to watch his work/demonstration.
Today also happens to mark exactly 1 month from when I arrive at home. While in a lot of ways, Ecuador is “my other country” and I really love being here, I’m not ashamed to say that I’m also really looking forward to being home. Fall, leaves, boots, apples, pumpkin, my birthday, Halloween, my dog…do I need to continue?

Then, on the bus ride back to San Antonio (which I was kind of dreading because it was once again later than I wanted, so I knew it would be super crowded), I was entertained by quite possibly the best salesman ever. A man from Colombia who makes little glass charms and friendship-style bracelets began explaining his work. This is a tactic that many of the vendors who spend their days on-and-off buses use. He then took a new approach, and began asking trivia questions about Ecuador (what’s the greenest city? Esmeraldas. What’s the white city? Ibarra.). Those who spoke up first with the right answer received a glass charm – free of charge. (I should mention that it’s quite common for vendors to walk down the aisle, putting their wares in your hands. On their second pass, they expect payment (or you can return the item). Because of this, it’s often better to not accept anything.) After some valid trivia questions, he began telling jokes. He then used the item-in-hand tactic. Because he was so charismatic and comical, everyone accepted the bracelets. I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen before; I know I generally refuse. He then proceeded to tell us that his bracelets usually cost $1, and while he’d be happy to accept just a “thank you” from us as our payment, who among us could afford to work for free? Ever the jokester, he then began soliciting those who could work for free to help him. Instead of charging us $1 (which is actually more than the bracelets should cost), he simply asked that we pay what we thought they were worth, and he would be appreciative. He offered to change out the colors for our preferences and was super good-hearted about accepting that people might not want the bracelets.

Let me tell you, this tactic worked. I’m pretty sure most of the bus bought a bracelet or two.  I did (do I need one? No. Why did I buy it? Because this man certainly earned my quarters and my respect), and I never buy things on buses. So did the man next to me, who admitted that he doesn’t normally buy things on buses either (he did, however win 2 charms, mister smarty pants). It also prompted a lovely conversation with the man next to me that restored my faith in humanity and reminded me that not all men on buses are put there to hit on me and creep me out. Like most people I meet in Ecuador (or in other countries, for that matter), he was genuinely excited that I chose to spend time in his country and thought my research was super cool.

When I got back to Fanny’s, I was excited to actually have something to report when asked about my day. I told them it was the best day ever and promptly made them all laugh. We had company, and it was nice to visit and be sociable. I also used my FAK cred to win over the 8 year old girl who I’m pretty sure thought I was a weirdo (she’s not necessarily wrong), so I have a new friend and made some parents very happy. Fanny said the credit should go to my munchkins for the practice.
Yeah, I’d say today was certainly a good ego boost that ought to get me through the last month of this trip. <3



*Written on Saturday 9/9/17. Posted on Sunday 9/10/17 because the internet was mad at me (but I didn’t change anything because I want you to experience some fraction of my excitement)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yamor Festival

Research has officially started

Pijal with Archy Friends and Super Cool Tech