LLAMAS!!!

Pepe asked me to go to an archaeological site with him, and I'll admit I felt guilty about taking time from my research (I was sick Monday and Tuesday, and I spent yesterday frantically working on a grant app, so I already felt like I was neglecting my research). But he promised me there would be llamas and said we could talk to some people about textiles. Sold. Boy, did he deliver!!

We went to Cochasqui, an early mound site that also has some museums.
 Here is a "typical" ancient house, made out of traditional materials (thatched roof, wooden frame, adobe bricks with spackle).
 For my archys, I promise, it was a legit site. Here's some of the cool stuff they've already found. There were at least 5 more sites currently being excavated. Thanks to my stint "helping" Karen, I at least felt like I knew what they were doing and could fake my way through a decent conversation.


I know it's cloudy, but check out that view behind the mounds. Alas, we were visiting with Pepe's contacts, so I didn't get to take a full tour, but I made Pepe promise to take me back so I can take a tour and visit the two ethnographic museums.

We talked for quite a while, and then a pair of llamas appeared way off in the distance. I was trying to figure out how to sneak away to get some good pictures. Thankfully, they heard my thoughts and started coming our way. I was pretty excited to finally be able to say I saw some llamas in Ecuador, since everyone thinks I must see llamas and alpacas all the time due to my work on textiles!!

You can't possibly imagine how ecstatic I was when one came near us. You can buy salt to feed them, so if you put your hand out, they naturally think you have something for them. Right after this picture was snapped, the llama licked me and I squealed like a little girl!! They probably thought it's because I was freaked out, but it's because this was the highlight of my trip!! (For some reason, everyone laughs when I tell them meeting the llamas has been the best part of my trip, but I'm not going to lie.)

I tried to get a nice shot without my hat on (it was sunny and cold), but by then, Mr. Llama had figured out I didn't have any food for him, and he couldn't be bothered to look at the camera again. I so threw off his groove!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yamor Festival

Research has officially started

Pijal with Archy Friends and Super Cool Tech