How many moms do you have?!

I know, I know, it's been forever, but we haven't had power (and therefore, internet) for 2 days. I'm working on getting caught up on everything.

On September 7, I moved from the Echeverrias' to Fanny's to spend time with both of my Ecuadorian families. Fanny graciously picked me up so I didn't have to navigate the bus or spring for a cab with all of my luggage. I packed hastily, knowing I'd be unpacking it all later that day, but in doing so, I didn't make very good use of space. I freaked out a bit and bought a duffle bag for my trip home. Later (in my quest to find my bathing suit for our trip to Intag...but that's another story. Stay tuned!), I resituated things and found I have plenty of space. I guess that means more space for gifts :)
Earlier that Thursday, I took Cristina and her friend Monica to the Plaza to be their shopping guide. Of course, all the vendors who don't know me thought it was the opposite. It's quite common here for foreign tourists to hire a local to be their guide and help them, since many tourists don't speak much Spanish. I'm sure that's what we looked like, but I made sure to tease Cristina and Monica for undermining my legitimacy.

While in the market, I introduced Cristina to some of my contacts as my adoptive mom. Later, when I told them I'd moved to San Antonio to spend time with my other Ecuadorian family, they asked, "How many moms do you have?!" They thought 3 was a lot (birth mom + 2 Ecuadorian moms), which I find funny, given how large their families are and how normal it is for aunts, uncles, and grandparents to chip in and co-parent. If only they knew how many other moms I have stateside!  ;)

When I loved with Fanny in 2014, I stayed in her daughter Karoline's room. Now that Karo is back from getting her PhD in Germany, I'm staying in the cabana behind the house (it was under construction the last time).


My kitchen (which I use as an office), the spare bedroom (which I use as a dressing room because I'm classy), and my bedroom (my luggage matches the bedspread -- look how coordinated I am):



My living quarters are surrounded by gardens, a small soccer pitch, a pool, and a yard that Douglas would dream of mowing.



Here is the back of the actual house:

Lest you think I'm too spoiled, Monday, I woke up to find a giant spider inches away from me on the wall; Tuesday, there was a lizard next to my purse on the dresser; and yesterday, Fanny and I went on a spider killing spree. Move over Arnold; I'm going to start calling her the Terminator. Who knows what tomorrow holds.

It's always an adventure living with Fanny. She may be the busiest person I've ever met, and I'm fairly certain she's incapable of sitting still. She reminds me of a certain blonde who works in the Zippo archives... I'm starting to think that if Fanny and Shirley both sat down at the same time, the world may actually stop turning. Fanny makes sure my social calendar is always full. I moved in on Thursday evening, and Friday, we went to an independent film screening in San Antonio and a music festival in Cotacachi -- both of which were great fun! My notes can just write themselves so I can have fun, right?

Well, it proves true no matter what country you're in: if you go to the grocery store or a Wal-Mart like place, you WILL run into people you know. Ok, maybe not me, but certainly Fanny. I also learned that all small kitchen appliances (toaster, blender, griddle, etc) and shoes cost more here. I'm seeing more and more why a lot of Ecuadorians like to shop in the US. I guess there's always a trade-off. It's also no wonder that many people live by the depression era adage: use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. 



I also love that it's perfectly acceptable to double park but leave a person in the car in case the police comes. Seems legit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yamor Festival

Research has officially started

Pijal with Archy Friends and Super Cool Tech