Hollywood calls again (sort of)

I apologize, but I'm going to start posting blogs out of order because...LIFE. Otherwise, weeks pass without posts. So, enjoy the chaos that is my life. :)

On Sunday August 19th, I received a message from the store owner of Etnia Gallery. Fernando asked if I would be available to help him by appearing in a promotional video and saying a few words in English. When I agreed it, I thought we were shooting a promotional video for the store that they would post on their website. Because I love the store and its owners, I quickly agreed. As is the case with most things I agree to here, I didn't have all of the facts up front, but that's just life in Ecuador (and I would venture, most/all of Latin America). When I arrived, Fernando told me that the promotional video was actually for the Yamor Festival (which I wrote about last year <https://ecuadorkate3.blogspot.com/2017/09/yamor-festival.html> and will likely write about later this year, once the festival officially starts). We had coffee and chatted for about an hour before his daughter and the film crew arrived.


The film crew consisted of a mestizo man and woman who did the filming & lighting and an indigenous woman who was in the shots with us. The film crew had no idea that I would be there but they were quickly excited to have me to serve as their token foreigner/tourist. I got quite a laugh when they immediately put an Aya Huma mask on my face it told me it was perfect and beautiful. I joked that it was better having my face covered up, huh? They were excited because the pale skin around my blue-green eyes showed through the mask and apparently made for some good shots. Hey, I can live with that.

The video came together as many things do in Ecuador: by chance, being in the right place at the right time. Fernando's daughter Cynthia happened to be in a restaurant when the film crew came in and was looking for people to be in the video and places to shoot. She suggested her family's store. The story reminded me of how I came to be in an Ecuadorian movie last year <https://ecuadorkate3.blogspot.com/2017/09/my-15-minutes-of-fame.html> which I told to Fernando. Cut to him introducing me to the film crew as a famous actress because of my previous film experience. *face palm* I'm convinced that dads everywhere have the same sense of humor! While mamas are busy growing babies in their tummies, do y'all take classes in Dad Humor??

As I discovered with my previous film experience last year, the little things that we do in our daily lives become more complicated when we have to do them for a camera. For example, they had me turn in slow circle to show off the double sided Aya Huma mask. The young woman who was filming and giving instructions was gentler, sweeter, and more supportive. The young man made no such attempt. Although the young woman was pleased with my "performance" and patient enough to have me repeat it until we got the perfect shot, the man was quick to point out whenever he thought I wasn't being graceful enough. Listen, man. There's a reason I abandoned ballet quite early and people have nicknamed me "Grace" due to my ability to walk into and stumble over just about anything.

Although they both learned Fernando and his daughter Cynthia's names, the male filmographer made no effort to learn mine. [I should point out that none of the film crew members told me their names, so I don't feel so badly for not having learned them.] Despite having introduced myself and everyone else in the room attempting to correct him, he simply referred to me as "gringa." Fernando and I shared a laugh because while we had been talking earlier, I told him that during my first trip here, people in Peguche used "gringita" as though it were my name. At the time, not many foreigners were visiting Peguche, so I clearly stood out. If you've seen the widely circulated UPB photos (I'm still the poster-child for the now defunct Human Relations Major), you know what I'm talking about. After I laughed, Fernando attempted to correct the filmographer, but he insisted that if I were really an archaeologist (also incorrect, but anthropology is a pretty hit or miss concept here. People are more familiar with archaeology or sociology, so I generally roll with whatever works for them) that I should be accustomed with the local culture and not take offense. Lucky for him, I'm not bothered by being called gringa, so I didn't pursue it. He's right that it's generally not an offensive term here, as it can be in Mexico. Still, context is important in its use. People will often use 'extranjero' (foreigner) or 'turista' (tourist) in place of 'gringa' when I am around, which implies they are sensitive to its potential as an insult.

Despite Fernando asking me to come specifically because  I can speak English, we never actually spoke during the entire shoot. The video will be used as a promotion for the Yamor Festival, especially to encourage people who live in Quito to come to the festival. Ecuador relies economically on foriegn tourism, but they also work hard to promote internal tourism. As such, the video will basically serve as an ad on local TV stations leading up to and throughout the festival. I also found out that the video was ultimately for Carla Echeverria, who happens to be my host sister. As I'm constantly reminded here, it's a small world after all. I'm hoping my "connections" will allow me to obtain an electronic copy I can share with y'all. As you might've guess, it was a fun experience and I'm glad I said yes! Who knows what I'll "star" in next! ;) ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yamor Festival

Research has officially started

Pijal with Archy Friends and Super Cool Tech