National pride or propaganda?

In 2014, I wrote: "Ecuador has created these campaigns for the past few years to promote the country worldwide and increase tourism. Last year was 'Ecuador ama la vida' (Ecuador loves life). This year is 'All you need is Ecuador.; This symbol [the colored tiled] ties in to the campaigns somehow; it's on everything!"


It seems as though "Ecuador ama la vida" has made a comeback, and I haven't seen a more recent slogan. During my last trip, I thought these slogans/campaigns were an interesting way to try to promote the country and increase revenue from tourism. The more I talk to people who live in Ecuador, however, the less certain I am that Ecuadorians appreciate these slogans. They are generally described as "propaganda," and I can definitely see why: they are everywhere!! Crafts, billboards, food packaging, etc.





What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yamor Festival

Research has officially started

Pijal with Archy Friends and Super Cool Tech